If you haven't heard about it already, Veganuary is an annual challenge run by a UK nonprofit organisation that aims to educate people about veganism by encouraging people to follow a vegan lifestyle for the month of January. It isn't easy for a lot of people to go vegan cold turkey, however, I've collected a couple of my favourite quick recipies that can be inplemented into your diet, wether full veganuary, or just for a bit of a change.
Mongolian style Seitan
This recipie is perfect if you're craving a quick, healthy, vegan takeaway style meal!
Ingredients for 4x servings:
For the Sauce:
- 2tsp cooking oil, I use a mix of sesame and rapeseed
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger (you can also use ground ginger)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/3 tsp chinese five spice
- 1/3 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
For the Seitan:
- 1 tbsp preferred cooking oil
- 500g Seitan (This recipie is excellent if you have time to make your own, if not this one from Biona is great)
Heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over a medium high heat, add in your ginger and garlic and stir continually, add the spices and cook for around a minute more until fragrant.
Add soy sauce and sugar to the pan, and reduce the heat to medium low. Stir until the sugar is disolved, bring to a simmer and add in the cornstarch and water mix to thicken the sauce.
Reduce the heat to as low as possible, and let it sit until the seitan is ready to stir in.
To cook the seitan:
Heat your oil in a frying pan over a medium high heat, add your seitan and cook for 2/3 mins on each side until crispy around the edges.
Reduce to a low heat and stir in the sauce, continue cooking until the seitan is coated.
Serve with rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onion.
Quick Tomato Pasta
Ingredients for 4x servings:
- 4 cups of your preferred pasta
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 veggie stock pot (and 150ml water - I like to use pasta water)
- A dash of plant based cream (alpro have a great one) or oat milk
- Vegan parmesan (this is the one I use)
- Salt, Black pepper, Chilli flakes to taste
- Cook your pasta according to cooking instructions, save the water for your stock later!
- Saute the garlic and onions in the cooking oil in a saucepan over medium heat until soft.
- Cook and reduce for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once onions and garlic are soft then pour in your tomato puree. Stir the mixture until it's thoroughly combined, then reduce the heat to low.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable stock, stir to combine and then add a dash of the vegan cream/oat milk.
- Stir to combine, then turn heat to the lowest simmer possible.
- Sprinkle in the chilli flakes and add salt and pepper to taste. Finally, stir in grated vegan cheese to taste.
- Pour the drained pasta into the sauce and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle on more vegan cheese and more red pepper flakes to serve if desired